Dr. Misener recommends the following tips to help your child adapt to their new glasses:
• Let your child pick the frame style and colour – while they still need to be properly fitted by an optometrist, make sure they're happy with their choice and are excited to put them on.
• Buy them a book to help them accept the idea of wearing glasses, like:
- Arlo Needs Glasses by Barney Saltzberg,
- What Can Pinky See? By Lucy Cousins, and
- Pearl and Wagner: Four Eyes by Kate McMullan.
• Inform your child's teacher when their glasses should be worn in school.
• Share photos and stories of some of their favourite characters who wear glasses, such as Arthur, Superman's Clark Kent, Harry Potter, Spongebob Squarepants and Spiderman's Peter Parker.